Welcome to the Savanna School District
Where Today's Learners Become Tomorrow's Leaders
Our Return to a Regular Class Day on August 9, 2021
We are very excited to announce that our schools will return to a regular schedule of in-person learning when school resumes on August 9, 2021. School schedules can be accessed on each school's website. Rest assured that we will take every precaution to keep your children safe at school following health guidelines in place when we reopen. Our online registration opens on July 19 for next school year.
The state recently released the Updated California Department of Public Health guidance for K-12 schools. As a reminder, COVID-19 health requirements are set by state and county health officials, and school districts are required to follow the guidance in order to operate in-person instruction.
This new guidance updates previous versions in a few important ways and makes it possible for all students to return to a full in-person school schedule. These updates include the following:
- Face masks are a mandatory requirement for students while indoors at school.
- Staff in a school setting are required to wear a face mask when sharing indoor spaces with students.
- If a person is exempt from wearing a face mask due to a medical condition or if a face mask cannot be used for instructional or developmental reasons, the person must wear a non-restrictive alternative such as a face shield with a drape on the bottom edge.
- Face masks are not required (optional) while outdoors at school, including before and after school, during recess, during outdoor PE classes, and at lunchtime.
- Face masks will be required while students are riding the school bus to and from school.
- Physical distancing is not required as long as other mitigation measures, such as the universal wearing of face masks, are fully implemented.
- Masking indoors also greatly reduces quarantine restrictions for anyone who may be exposed to COVID-19 as long as they remain asymptomatic, reducing interruptions to in-person instruction.
- The CDPH will continue to assess COVID-19 conditions and determine no later than November 1, 2021, whether to update the indoor mask requirement.
After the new guidance was announced, the state made additional comments that created confusion about the masking requirements. The District has since clarified with state and county health officials that the indoor masking mandate is the same as last year.
One of the most important tools we have to help keep each other safe is getting vaccinated. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Vaccines are readily available and details on your nearest vaccine location can be found at COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Channels. For additional information please visit the Orange County Healthcare Agency Vaccine Resources Webpage.
Ensuring the health and safety of our students, staff, and school community has always been a top priority in the Savanna School District. As we plan for the start of the 2021-22 school year, we will continue to make every effort to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our students and staff while adhering to all state health and safety requirements. We appreciate your understanding that school districts are required to follow state mandates and are not permitted to implement less restrictive measures. We also understand that families have different viewpoints when it comes to mask mandates in schools. Those who have strong feelings on this subject should share their views with state officials.
We are deeply indebted to our school community for its ongoing support during the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue to provide updates on our website as further information is received from the state.
Click below to view video updates from Dr. Johnson. Click here for previous video updates.
We’re excited to welcome all our students back to campus for full-time, in-person instruction on Monday, August 9, 2021! --Dr. Johnson
Registration for the 2021-22 School Year Now Open | July 19, 2021 through August 9, 2021
Numbered for Success
What a special place Savanna School District is! Encompassing parts of the cities of Anaheim, Buena Park, Cypress and Stanton, Savanna School District is an elementary school district with approximately 2400 students. These students attend one of our four schools: Cerritos, Hansen, Holder and Twila Reid Schools. We also serve about 250 preschoolers in state and privately-run preschools on our campuses.